Community health services
The Barts Health Community Health Services provide care for residents living in Tower Hamlets. We deliver services to 81 premises around Tower Hamlets including GP surgeries, community health centres, clinics, in hospital and to patients in their homes.
Patients who are seen at home would be expected to attend a doctor’s surgery or other community location prior to their care starting. Most services operate Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, with the exception of the GP Out of Hours Service and the Community Health Teams (see individual services for opening times).
Our staff care passionately about improving the quality of life for residents of Tower Hamlets to maximise health and well being as possible, with timely access to the support that they need.
Barts Health community services are primarily for residents of Tower Hamlets. Treating every patient as an individual, we will work with you to develop a care package that fits your needs. Our knowledgeable staff are skilled in treating a wide range of conditions and issues. We are proud of our excellent clinical results. We see patients of all ages, including children.
Services we offer
- Adult Continence Service
- ARCaRE (Adult Respiratory Care and Rehabilitation)
- Clinical Assessment Services
- Community Health Teams
- Continuing Health Care
- CVD/Heart Failure
- Persistent Pain Service
- Tower Hamlets GP Out of Hours
- Single Point of Access
- Breastfeeding Support
- Community Children’s Nursing
- Family Nurse Partnership
- Healthy Start Vitamins
- Health Visiting
- Occupational therapy
- School Health and Immunisation Service
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Podiatry or foot Health
- Health Psychology
- Learning Disability
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Wheelchair Services (managed by Whizz Kidz)
Information for professionals
Referrers will use one single form for all of the community health services managed by Barts Health and East London Foundation Trust. We anticipate this will be a simpler and more efficient process for you.
Referrals to adult community health services
The Tower Hamlets adult community health team referral form [docx] 68KB can be used to refer to:
- The rapid response team
- Catheter care (routine 48 hours)
- Continence services
- Extended primary care teams (EPCTs)
- Foot health service
- Leg ulcer management
- Nurse-led community heart failure team
- Community diabetes service
- Adult respiratory and rehabilitation care service (ARCaRe)
- Community dietetics service
- THCNT - community neuro team including community speech and language service
Referrals to children’s community health services
We receive referrals from doctors, nurses, therapists, child and adolescent mental health professionals, teachers, educational psychologists and social workers. There is now a new referral process for all referrals to the specialist children’s community health services which will now be managed via the Tower Hamlets single point of access. These services include:
- Community children’s nursing team
- Community paediatric medical team
- Paediatric continence service
- Paediatric asthma nurse
- Children’s occupational therapy
- Children’s physiotherapy
- Children’s speech and language therapy
- Children’s SLT, eating, drinking and swallowing services
For GPs the new referral form can be found on Resource Publisher, accessible via EMIS. The form is called: Specialist Children's Health service referral TH CEG (RP).
For other users of our services please use the Tower Hamlets specialist children services referral form [doc] 123KB and guidance docx] 109KB to refer to our services. If you have questions, please phone 0300 033 5000 or email the team.
This model of care is part of our new community health services within Tower Hamlets Together, which includes Barts Health NHS Trust, East London Foundation Trust and the GP Care Group.