Research Matters: changing lives in east London and beyond
This year’s Research Matters forum (in celebration of International Clinical Trials Day) will focus on ‘patients’ experience of taking part in research’, highlighting some of the different ways research staff are working to inform our patients about opportunities to take part in studies and to provide them with the best possible experience of taking part in research. The programme includes:
- an introduction to the NIHR Clinical Research Network’s annual Patient Research Experience Survey (PRES) with results from the 2018/19 survey, the lessons we have learned and planned improvements;
- a presentation from staff in the Renal Unit, providing a snapshot of some of the current studies examining kidney health conditions, and offering some insights into an exciting project aimed at understanding, and overcoming, barriers to participation in research within the Bangladeshi community;
- Patient Research Champions: one year on, we will provide a brief update on the initiative and showcase some of the many ways volunteers are helping to improve our patient’s experience of research.
There will also be films, group discussions and a chance to meet with some of our researchers and senior staff at our drinks reception immediately following the forum.
Other Research Matters activities
There will also be a number of additional activities taking place in May as part of our Research Matters programme, in celebration of International Clinical Trials Day.
What’s happening at our hospitals?
Royal London Hospital
- Women’s Health research information stand – speak to our team about research we are conducting into pregnancy health and childbirth and to learn more about how you can get involved through Katie’s Team
Date: 20 May Time: 10am-3pm Location: Ante-natal clinic, 8th floor
- Clinical Research Centre – take a tour of the new facility and hear talks from our patients about the impact research has had on their lives. To book a tour please email the team
Date: 24 May Time: Tours every hour between 11am-3pm Location: Floor 11D
Newham University Hospital
- Stroke research information stand - the team will be on hand to check your blood pressure and answer any questions you have about research
Date: 16 May Time: 10am-2pm Location: St Andrew's Wing entrance
Whipps Cross Hospital
- Clinical Research Unit– take a tour of the unit and hear talks from our patients about about the impact research has had on their lives. To book a tour, please email the team
Date: 14 May Time: Tours every hour between 11am-3pm Location: Ground floor, junction 9
St Bartholomew’s Hospital
- Clinical Support Services (CSS) information stand. CSS includes the Departments of Imaging, Pathology, Pharmacy, Clinical Physics, Therapies and Outpatients and staff actively participate in clinical research. CSS also contribute to the research community by performing the diagnostic and laboratory tests, providing equipment support and manufacturing the drugs as well as delivering therapies for patients in over 400 clinical trials. Come along and speak to our team to find out more.
Date: 20 May Time: TBC Location: Ground floor, King George V building
- Cancer research information stand - learn about studies taking place on the prevention of cancer and discuss any questions you may have
Date: 24 May Time: 10am-4pm Location: Ground floor, King George V building