The Healthcare Horizons programme is helping young people in east London to take the first steps in NHS careers in healthcare and health sciences.
Run by Barts Health NHS Trust and Barts Charity, supported by JP Morgan Chase Foundation, Healthcare Horizons is enabling students to learn more about different health professions, access higher education and secure employment within the NHS.
Over 1,000 school and college students from over 20 schools in the boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Newham and Hackney will participate in a variety of initiatives tailored to their age. The programme includes a raft of support to give young people a taster of stepping into the shoes of healthcare workers:
- Secondary school students will have access to career awareness sessions, hands on events and work experience placements.
- Teenagers will be able to immerse themselves in how an operating theatre works in the cutting edge simulation suite at The Royal London Hospital.
- Direct support and advice will be offered to students completing applications for university via online mentoring.
- Bespoke support including motivational training, interview skills development and regular events showcasing the range of available opportunities will help people to get straight into work.
About the programme
Barts Health NHS Trust and Barts Charity are launching a new programme to help young people embark on health careers and make informed choices about their future. This is a major intervention to improve access to, and entry to, career opportunities in east London.
Through our work we aim to encourage and help young people from our local communities to make the first step on their exciting career in the health sector through;
- Increasing awareness of NHS careers
- Raising career aspirations
- Promoting the NHS as a local employer
- Helping with recruitment to higher education, apprenticeship programmes and future employment
- Improving careers advice and guidance provided to young people
The Healthcare Horizons programme is working with secondary schools and colleges within Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham and south of Waltham Forest.
Background to the initiative
The NHS is the largest employer in Britain and offers over 350 careers to choose from. But finding one’s way through the maze of how to make your start in helping deliver Britain’s healthcare can be a challenge, especially if you do not come from a background that has strong connections with health professionals.
The Healthcare Horizons programme has been developed with the intention of delivering short and medium-term improvements in recruiting and retaining suitably qualified staff with focus on local recruitment.
How to get involved
Pre-employability training programme
Our pre-employability training programme will provide eligible 16-29 year olds the opportunity to access ring-fenced apprenticeship vacancies at the Trust. More information about apprenticeships on offer and the programme can found here: (attach apprenticeship booklet document here).
Eligibility criteria (all requirements must be met):
- Age 16-29
- Resident of one of the following boroughs: Tower Hamlets, Newham, Waltham Forest, Hackney
- Good GCSEs in Maths and English (A*-C) or equivalent
- EU/UK resident for a minimum of 3 years
- Must not be in education at the point of application for the programme
All candidates interested in applying for the pre-employability training programme must send an email stating the cohort number as well as attaching an updated CV to email@example.com.
Those eligible will be invited to an information and assessment day, and successful candidates will be selected following a short interview. Candidates must be available to attend all dates in their specified cohort.
School and college offer
Currently secondary schools and colleges within the boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Newham, Hackney and Waltham Forest are invited to participate in the programme.
- Career talks in small groups
- Parents talks to increase awareness of existing career pathways
- Barts Health summer school
- Career events
- Work experience
- University application support
16-29 year olds
- Apprenticeship recruitment
- Pre-employment training programme
For more information and to enrol your school on the programme please email the project team.
Please note that due to a high demand we are unable to accept requests from individual students or schools outside of the selected boroughs. If you are a student wishing to get involved, please speak with your school or college career advisor to find out if it is already part of the programme.