Patient eligibility for the service is determined by clinical assessment of the patient following the guidelines set out by the Department of Health.
How to apply for an assessment
The Royal London, St Bartholomew’s, The London Chest and Mile End hospitals
There are two options for an assessment for non-emergency patient transport to The Royal London, St Bartholomew’s, The London Chest and Mile End hospitals.
- You can telephone the travel shop on 020 3465 5121. Lines are open, Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm. By using this option, you will agree to be assessed over the telephone by our trained assessors.
Staff can also book patient discharges and transfers using the above options.
What if I am not eligible?
Patients who are not eligible for the service should make their own way to and from our hospitals with the help of a relative, friend or carer.
Information about how to get to our hospitals including by public transport is provided on our hospital pages.
Our transport has limited space, as a result of this patient escorts are restricted to one per patient.
Patients are eligible for an escort if:
- they are under 16 years of age
- the patient’s condition is such that they require constant attention of an escort throughout their journey
- the patient has severe communication difficulties e.g. has a profound sight or hearing/speech impairment and therefore cannot travel alone
- the patient suffers from a mental illness i.e. Alzheimer’s or Dementia, which prevents them from travelling unaccompanied