Barts Charity recently awarded Whipps Cross Hospital a grant to support with making five of the hospital wards at Whipps Cross Hospital dementia friendly. This project is focusing on wards that specialise in caring for people with dementia with medical or surgical problems. Each ward will have a bespoke project plan with the aim of creating a combination of permanent social and reminiscence spaces, artwork and dementia friendly signage that meets the needs of those living with dementia.
We're inviting staff members, patients, friends, family and the general public to showcase their photography to support with making the Trust Dementia Friendly.
Submissions deadline: Midnight on Friday 20th January 2017
We want you to share your most incredible photographs that fit within any of these three categories:
Object, Landscape and Wildlife
If you think your image will capture the attention and put a smile on the patients, relatives and staff members faces, we want to see it. Please ensure you follow the below guidelines and refer to the terms and conditions:
- It must look familiar and be recognisable
- Feel welcoming and warming, not offensive
- Please avoid abstract images*
- Will have to be suitable for a hospital environment
Please include a caption describing your photograph e.g. Hollow Ponds Boating Lake 2016 (maximum 10 words)
First prize: £100 John Lewis Voucher
2 x Runner up prizes: £50 John Lewis Voucher
The top 30 photographs will be displayed in wards throughout Whipps Cross Hospital and other Barts Health hospitals
Please see the full terms and conditions for further information
*Abstract artwork can be misinterpreted by someone living with dementia therefore we request not to submit this style of photographs.
Terms and Conditions:
1. Entrants must not be professional photographers
2. Only one entry is allowed into each category per person
3. The three categories are: Object, Landscape and Wildlife
4. Photos can be in black and white or colour, landscape or portrait
5. Photos are asked to be familiar, recognisable, feel welcoming and warming, not offensive, avoid abstract images and be suitable for a hospital environment
6. Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated
7. All entries must be submitted by midnight on Friday 20th January 2017
8. The original photo must be digital and at least 1MB in size to enable reproduction for display.
9. To enter send a 8x10 hard copy of your photograph to the following address: Lucy Cosgrove, Whipps Cross Dementia & Delirium Team, Willow Lodge, 2nd Floor, Whipps Cross University Hospital, Whipps Cross Road, Leytonstone, London, E11 1NR as well as an electronic PDF copy of the image of at least 1MB in size to: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Please include a caption describing your photograph e.g. Hollow Ponds Boating Lake 2016 (maximum 10 words) on both the reverse of the hard copy and in the email.
11. Please also include on both the reverse of the hard copy and in the email the Category, Name, Profession/Job, Address, Telephone Number, Email Address. We cannot accept photographs submitted without a valid contact number or email address.
12. All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting the images. Images must not have been published elsewhere, or have won a prize in any other photographic competition
13. Please do not send us your original images as we will not be able to return any photographs
14. We cannot take responsibility for any copies of photographs should they be damaged on transit or not arrive at the hospital address as detailed above.
15. Any inappropriate photos will be removed from the competition
16. All entries will be judged by a panel of judges, including staff members and patient representatives
17. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into
18. The judges will shortlist 30 winning photographs, which, in their opinion, best illustrate the theme of the competition. These 30 will be displayed across Barts Health hospitals.
19. Barts Health reserves the right to remove any photograph from display at any time.
20. Shortlisted entrants and winners agree for their first name to be displayed alongside their photograph
21. If an original photograph is displayed we cannot accept any responsibility should it be damaged or lost whilst on display.
22. Copyright will remain with the photographer although shortlisted entrants consent to having their work publicly displayed within Barts Health NHS Trust hospitals, used in different media forms within the Trust, on public websites, through social media and through local media outlets.
23. The panel will then choose three prize winners. Copyright will remain with the photographer although winning entrants will have their work publicly displayed within Barts Health NHS Trust hospitals, used in different media forms within the Trust, on public websites, through social media and through local media outlets.
24. Shortlisted entrants and winners will be notified by email/telephone when a decision has been made.
25. Winners will receive confirmation of when they will receive their prizes
26. The prizes are as described – there is no alternative and they cannot be sold or transferred
27. The three top winners agree to be contacted by Barts Health to consider publicity to promote the competition
28. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions
For further information regarding this competition please contact email@example.com