Skiplinks

Help Links

Our history

Our hospitals have maintained a distinguished medical and nursing tradition throughout their history; they claim many eminent physicians and surgeons amongst their past and present alumni and staff. 

 

Newham University Hospital Timeline, 1983-2012

NH 1983 Image One

1983: Newham General Opens

Newham General was opened by Her Majesty The Queen on 14 December 1983 under the management Newham Health Authority. It provided centralised services for the population of the London Borough of Newham. It replaced Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End in Stratford (founded 1861) and East Ham Memorial Hospital (founded 1902), both of which closed. East Ham Memorial Hospital opened again in 1990 as a psychiatric unit.

NH 1985 Image Two

1985: Maternity services centralised

Newham Maternity Hospital (previously Forest Gate Maternity Hospital, founded 1913) closed and its services were transferred to Newham General.

NH 1986 Image Three

1986: Phase two opens

On 18 February 1986 phase two of Newham General Hospital, which included additional maternity beds, a special care baby unit, a rehabilitation department and an academic centre, was opened by Diana, Princess of Wales.

NH 1991 Image Four

1991: Trust established

Newham Healthcare NHS Trust was established as a first wave NHS trust under the Government’s reorganisation of the health service. The new trust took over responsibility for running Newham General from Newham Health Authority. The trust also managed St. Andrew’s Hospital in Bromley by Bow (founded 1871). St Andrew’s closed in 2006.

2004: Change of name

The trust managing Newham General became Newham University Hospital NHS Trust.

2012: Barts Health NHS Trust

Newham University Hospital became part of Barts Health NHS Trust.

Footer

@NHSBartsHealth on Twitter

Follow us

  • @NHSBartsHealth on Twitter
  • Barts Health NHS on Facebook
  • Barts Health NHS on YouTube
  • Barts Health NHS on Google+

Site Information Links